Alright, don’t say you weren’t warned: it’s time to vent as some serious shit going on that people need to know about if they don’t already…and hey, it’s been one helluva week in my world and the world at large…so here goes.
- #45 complains about pulling down statues of racist pigs, yet wants to reduce and/or eliminate many of our national monuments. Again, fuck you you fucking hypocrite. (Can you hear that? It’s me making another donation to the NRDC to fight your environment-hating ass).
- Okay, so if you’ve not been hiding under a rock, you’ll know that at least 25% of U.S. military women have been sexually assaulted, and up to 80% have been sexually harassed. And you’ll also know that the military notoriously doesn’t do shit about it – in 2012 there were “3,374 reports of sexual assault on military service members. 816 of these were not included…because they were confidential, restricted and not investigated” and “in 15% of cases the accused perpetrator was permitted to resign or be discharge in lieu of court-martial.” I’ve always been repulsed by the fact that military courts, not civilian courts, often handle rape cases, where victims’ rights are ignored, and most rapists not only don’t get court martialed, 86% get to keep their crimes a secret. I’ve made no secret of my disgust for the elitism and hero-worship expectation that is in American culture for the military, as if those who volunteer are all somehow better people, all heroes, etc., which is bullshit, and am continually baffled at how we are constantly told they are ‘fighting for our freedom as Americans’ – yet not wholly subject to the same laws as the rest of us. I was molested by my sister’s husband, BRIAN HANEN, at the age of 10, and nothing was done about it – in fact, my sister stayed married to the sick son of a bitch for 7 more years even after he told her what he did, and even years after divorcing him, she got back together with this piece of garbage and then had the nerve to invite me over to my mother’s house where they were both going for Thanksgiving (several years ago – she is now dating women). And I am the one who was deemed “disloyal” by people like her? Can you believe that shit? He was in the military, did I mention that? Would the military have done anything had my family decided to protect me instead of look the other way? So I think about last week’s news that a retired general is being court martialed for raping a child repeatedly over a 6 year period, and the fact that he is only the 4th of someone in his status, and the others have basically simply been demoted in rank rather than actually go to jail, and I’m both sickened and not surprised. After all, we should blindly “thank him for his service” right? Fuck that shit. My heroes right now? The first responders in Hurricane Harvey and other disaster areas, whether they be private citizens, public employees or members of the military – that is hero’s work. That’s what we need to focus on – taking care of each other (not killing).
- Next up, have you seen the video of the cheerleader being FORCED to do the splits repeatedly? I balled when I watched this, it is such blatant violence and abuse by not only the coach but everyone around him who did nothing to stop this (some even trying to help the coach by holding her down. And along with that? The number of fucking assholes who commented on these articles in various publications not condemning the action but actually saying “she shouldn’t have been allowed on the team if she can’t do the splits”. What the actual fuck. I take this extra personally, as I was a dancer for years in my younger days and unlike the lies of this asshole coach Ozell Williams, this is NOT how you get someone to be able to do the splits. Like anything else, it’s called stretching, you sick motherfucker. It takes a while to get this part of your body to be able to do the splits, and took me a long time before I could do them comfortably, but no one EVER got near me, just taught me good stretches for my hamstrings, quads, etc. And you know what? In high school the splits were part of routines, but they did not ban people from the team simply for not being able to do them in tryouts, they were just clear that you needed to be able to do them by the time it was time to perform, simple. To force a body into that type of position is repulsive, cruel, and criminal assault. This girl is now in long term PT for the tears to her muscles and ligaments they inflicted upon her. And this prick claims the video was ‘taken out of context’. Fucking lowlife.
- “This second-guessing of oneself and playing-out of alternate narratives in one’s own head is a dominant soundtrack of women’s lives. It’s also the white noise behind every case, public or privately discussed, of sexual harassment, abuse and rape.” Yeah, so speaking of fucking lowlifes, there’s the vileness of #45 (who, lest we forget, lost the popular vote by just under 3 million) that Hillary Clinton speaks of in her book, and mentions in a way that not only exposes the rapist, sexist, racist, xenophobic excuse of a human being, it also shows a woman who, like most if not all of us, has dealt with this twisted behavior for so long and the ways we have tried to deal (or not deal) with it usually so often we can’t even count how many times we’ve dealt with it. Jill Filipovic’s piece in the New York Times is so spot-on it had me in tears, remembering my own experiences, things I’ve had to tell my husband happen so much you just have to pick your battles to determine if you want to call out the perpetrator that day or not. From “manspreading” on the bus to the managers who tell victims of workplace harassment to “grow some balls” to the overt behavior like the music company founder who reached over and kiss me (HR) on the cheek while I was clocking in and another time – in front of his ex-wife, the CEO, and my boss, the President – rubbed me on the belly, women are put in so many positions where they have to make split decisions to speak or shut up, and often shut up. Why? Because we are scared of retaliation. We have seen it happen time and again where women are dared to do anything about it – from the military where women as victims have been turned into “mental health” cases and forced to resign while their rapists keep their jobs (paid for by us taxpayers, mind you) to the simple fact that they could be fired for speaking up, with powers-that-be deeming them as “difficult”, “not a team player”, and my favorite, suddenly – despite great performance / results – “a poor culture fit”.
- Finally, while I’m not on Twitter and haven’t been for a few years, I recently read about this tweet by Julius Goat and it’s so spot on in calling out those white men who claim “white oppression”:
“Imagine if these people ever faced actual oppression. Nobody is trying to legislate away their right to marry. Nobody is trying to make them buy insurance to pay for ‘male health care.’ The law never: enslaved their great-grandparents; robbed their grandparents; imprisoned their parents; shot them when unarmed. There is no massive effort at the state and local level to disenfranchise them of the vote. There is no history of centuries of bad science devoted to ‘proving’ their intellectual inferiority. There is no travel ban on them because of their religion. There is no danger for them when they carry dangerous weaponry publicly.”
So, for anyone who needs to vent like me, here’s a good song to get the venting under way…