Week in Pictures

Just before the jackasses in pickup trucks showed up to terrorize the beaches. I fucking hate how there are still places they allow people to drive right on the sand – it’s dangerous and disrespectful, both environmentally and to people trying to have a quiet day at the beach away from all that kind of thing. Ugh. But it was 75, a full 30 degrees cooler than it was in PDX, which was awesome.

tumblr_n08kwq4QvE1qg9kfqo1_500

This week’s mantra. We have made the commitment to start off on the journey to buy a piece of dirt and so I’ve applied for a HELOC since I have a ton of equity, and that way I don’t make any payments until land is actually found – and I got in at 2.99% for the first year which is pretty sweet!

This week’s focus – pickles from our exploding cucumber trellis (these ones are one of my all time favorites – lemon pickles with bay, allspice berries and garlic) and a pretty decient first batch of heirloom tomatoes, including Abu Rawan (they came with our drip irrigation kit we installed last year and are delish!), New Yorker (okay to mix in with stuff, nothing extraordinary), and the delicious multicolor & ridge-y Costoluto Genovesa. My favorite San Marzanos are coming along slowly, with its cousin the Orange Banana being my new favorite. Hopefully it will be a good year for marinara ’cause mama needs many many more quarts of it this time around!

IMG_20170807_105215

So this may sound crazy since I am 43 years of age, but I’ve honestly never made REAL fried chicken before. I’ve always bought skinless chicken and rolled it in stuff, which as we all know is bullshit compared to the real thing. So when I got this Cast Iron Skillet Classics magazine at Freddy’s a couple weeks ago, I thought I’d finally do it…particularly since my husband’s employer had organic fryers for $2.99/lb before his 20% discount. So I did it – bought and cut up a whole chicken, soaked it in a combination of organic buttermilk, my homemade hot sauce (made with our homegrown Scotch Bonnet/Habanero/Serrano peppers – click on this link for how we do it), and salt, then dredged it in Wondra & regular flour (I googled Wondra substitutes and found if you mix 1/2 tsp arrowroot or cornstarch and sift your flour 3X, it’s the same thing – yay for the internet, y’all) and a couple teaspoons of white pepper, then took it out to the backyard (the kitchen is way too hot to cook in with the forecast of 95 today in our continuing heat wave, so I plug in a portable burner out there that I originally got for canning), and had my husband do the frying (I am not good around spattering oil) and – DAMN! So crazy good. My arteries aren’t thanking me for the amount of oil involved, but for just one moment, I’m pleased as punch.

One thought on “Week in Pictures

1. August 7, 2017 at 1:41 pm

That fried chicken looks oh so tasty.

2. August 8, 2017 at 5:52 am

Oh wow that fried chicken does look so good – your arteries might not be thanking you but I reckon the pure ecstasy of eating it is good for your mental health

3. August 8, 2017 at 7:10 am

Good luck in your search for a piece of dirt!

4. September 1, 2017 at 9:16 pm

Hi, I found you when you “liked” my urban farming write up. I am loving your blog and I wish I’d seen your yards and gardens before I’d gone forward and done mine. We threw things together so fast and now I want to rearrange it all. I love the 95 homesteading skills (knitting ain’t happening). I read some on the adoption. I don’t know what the update is as I’ve been skimming all your good stuff. As for parenthood, never give up. I’m 47 with my little boys. I started everything in my life after 40. I would love to adopt children but they make it difficult and my husband is still an illegal immigrant despite our marriage and kids. We aren’t allowed to adopt. Anyway, love your site and wanted to join but can’t find that little button so I just book marked you.

• September 1, 2017 at 9:32 pm

Thanks Kate! I have definitely rearranged my garden about a thousand times over the past 11 years since buying my house (I actually wrote a post about its evolution last year: https://theecofeminist.com/2016/04/19/tuesday-get-an-ecopeek-2/).

My life definitely started a new beautiful chapter at 40 as well, as I married my husband who is from Australia (I would be curious to know your immigration story, did you not get married on a fiance visa? We are in the midst of waiting for my husband’s permanent residency to be approved which is about a year behind with USCIS).

One gentle thing I do have to ask you is to not say “don’t give up” to someone who has been suffering from infertility. People say this with the best of intentions but honestly what it ends up telling us is that it’s not okay if we feel like we need to end the journey. We have no more savings left to spend after blowing through nearly $70,000 on fertility treatments and a failed international adoption when Ethiopia closed their doors earlier this year. This last attempt at domestic adoption is it for us – we are crossing our fingers that it works out but in no way are we making any other attempts beyond this to have a family.

Anyhow thank you again for your kind words. Usually if you scroll down you’ll see the follow button pop up, but on my home page there is also a place you can enter your email address where WordPress will send you automatic updates as well

• September 2, 2017 at 8:03 am

I’m so sorry, and you do have the right to quit the journey. I’ve quit many and for the best. Surrender can be the best alertnative. I’m assuming you have no interest in foster to adopt? That was going to be my route but my concern is that the situations seem so traumatic you never know what you’re getting into. As for our immigration story, he was set for deportation before we married and it makes it messy to say the least. They still want him to go back and return legally but that could be him over in Indian for years! We have a big chunk of cement in our yard and I want it removed to create more garden space. Chickens is about all the animals I can handle. I have dogs and a cat and I feel like my barnyard is full.:) I will try to join your site today. I know where to find things but I couldn’t on yours lastnight. Oh well, a fresh morning.

• September 2, 2017 at 8:25 am

Our journey through all the various ways of making a family is documented in the Two Plus One section of my blog going back to 2015. They don’t have foster to adopt in Oregon.

I can’t even imagine how difficult that must be with your husband’s situation. I have a number of friends who have also gone through the immigration process and it’s been terrible for everybody in different ways for different reasons… I think Dan’s initially went very quickly because he’s from Australia and they treat it like Canada and don’t raise a fuss, as it sure took a heck of a lot longer with those know who have spouses from Saudi Arabia and Nicaragua. And of course with that idiot in the White House, it’s only going to get worse. What state are you in?

• September 2, 2017 at 10:09 am

We are in California. Bali is Punjab Indian and has had to check into immigration offices every 6 months for years now. This time they picked him up and almost deported him but I have family with legal know how and we forced our attorney to really get involved and we got John Garamendi’s office involved and sprung him from the poky with in a week. He has to wear a low jack (ankle monitor) and we have 3 months to figure out things. Thus my backyard homesteading along with plan b and c and d….

• September 2, 2017 at 10:34 am

What a cluster to deal with and that can’t be easy on either of you! Crazy world we live in…

• September 2, 2017 at 2:51 pm

It will be the start of more equality in the end. All revolutions start with a lot of volatile situations. This Trump is really stirring the pot and people are waking up and that is great in the end.

• September 2, 2017 at 10:12 am

Here is the blog of our journey to fixing up this old house. You might enjoy the before and afters. I love this kind of stuff. Loved your yard and garden transformation.

• September 2, 2017 at 10:33 am

Ha I see you like blue like we do! We painted our house 3 years ago dark blue after it was a pukey yucky baby yellow color 🙂

• September 2, 2017 at 2:50 pm

Well, the blue was a bit darker than I had planned but it is the brightest house on the street. 🙂 If you see other blogs you will see that I wound up painting the inside kitchen blues and yellows, doors sea foam green, cabinets orange and greens. We had paint left over and went crazy. We now have a very Mexican house and I love it!

• September 2, 2017 at 8:05 am

Ah, just figured it out. You have to click on title. I was looking for “home”. It’s the simple stuff that gets me every time.