Little Bitty Getaway: Astoria

DSC06219

Me and My Love

After each transfer we’ve planned a couple days out of town to exhale with the news, and obviously with shit hitting the fan double-time, this was especially vital. I’d booked us where we spent the first night of our honeymoon, the Cannery Pier Hotel in Astoria, months ago, hoping for a celebration. It’s located at the mouth of the Columbia River as it reaches the Pacific and is quite romantic. The rooms are pretty swank but since we have Ruby, they only had a couple “pet friendly” rooms (read: they put them at the very end, which aren’t nearly as nice but are much cheaper), however it still had a cozy fireplace and their famous stellar view, as all of the rooms literally sit over the water. We came and left in the driving rain, but fortunately our full day there, Wednesday, was pretty damn good for the most part, staying (fairly) dry or just a bit misty. Strangely, my back made it TO Astoria no problem Tuesday afternoon and all day Wednesday I felt great, including our brief sit-downs at a couple of cafes (we brought dinner from home on Tuesday so I didn’t have to go sit somewhere and so we could just relax by the fire, but did carefully plan out a couple of places we knew would allow us to get served quickly so we could be in and out in 20 minutes or so). This morning it went to hell though and by the time we got home I was seriously hurting. Fortunately, the ducks had survived 48 hours on their own in the coop/run – but let’s just say when I let them out of the run they scampered out into the yard very very quickly 🙂

Here’s a bit of a look into our little escape…

Probably one of my favorite bridges to photograph in the world, the Astoria-Megler Bridge connecting Oregon to Washington.

LOVED our hike through the trails of Fort Stevens State Park. A perfect misty afternoon with an occasional sunbreak, lots of green, and even some rad Oregon slugs 🙂

Inside and out, the hotel is pretty gorgeous. Check out that view from our room…

And yes, our sweet old girl Ruby had a great time as well. We were only able to do about a 15 minute walk on the beach because she’s having such a hard time with quite a limp now, poor girl, but she loved being in the salty sea air wearing her “smart red jumper” as Dan calls it (with her advanced stage Cushing’s disease, she’s only got a thin layer of hair and the increasing calcium deposits all over her body have made her a flea magnet while also starting to lose some patches of hair altogether, so this actually keeps her warm – ’cause we are NOT those people who dress our dogs up – or refer to them as “fur babies”, for that matter), while checking out the old shipwreck of the Peter Iredale that’s been buried in the sand for over a century now. We prefer to have her pose in front of tourist attractions, and she digs it too 🙂

One thought on “Little Bitty Getaway: Astoria

1. Lizzie
    April 27, 2017 at 10:09 pm

What a lovely lil’ getaway! You take such lovely pics, girl! Sorry to hear about Ruby’s illness, but obviously, it doesn’t hold her back much, and I gotta say, I love peeps who dress up their dogs a bit. Does she have her own booties too? All my best, and take good care of yourself, lovey. ❤

• April 28, 2017 at 7:38 am

It’s actually slowly killing her as her liver is messed up and it makes her constantly thirsty. She’s got maybe 6 months left if we’re lucky. She can’t go on walks anymore, even around the block is too hard now – the beach allowed her to slowly wander while we checked out the wreck and looked at shells.

• Lizzie
        April 28, 2017 at 11:34 am

Oh my, Aimee, I’m so sorry. Hugs, babe. This must feel like so much to deal with, but goodness, am I glad you’ve got such a great base of support up there. Give your sweet girl kisses from me and hugs to Dan, of course. ❤

2. April 27, 2017 at 11:34 pm

Absolutely stunning photos! Love the one of your husband. Hope your back improves over time.

3. April 28, 2017 at 7:15 am

Very cool pictures!

4. myrainbowdream
    April 28, 2017 at 9:36 am

Your sweet dog in her smart red jumper, she is gorgeous. Is your hair bright red under that hood? It looks a gorgeous colour and that really is a beautiful photo of you both.

• April 28, 2017 at 10:23 am

Thanks – and yep, I made it a bit crayola bright during the last TWW 🙂

• myrainbowdream
        April 29, 2017 at 10:38 am

Love it!

5. April 28, 2017 at 10:10 am

Ruby is very photogenic and looks happy! Can’t ask for more with an old dog – making their last days comfortable and enjoyable. And it is okay to admit that you like to dress your dog up. Lots of people do it and red is a good color on her. 🙂

Your pictures are amazing – love the shipwreck and the outside of the hotel!

I call your back behaving for most of the trip a big win and a big step in the right direction!!! Woohooo!

• April 28, 2017 at 10:25 am

Haha – we had to search far and wide to find a coat to keep her belly warm as she started not wanting to go outside, which makes sense since she doesn’t get that 2nd layer of hair anymore and she’s never had hardly any hair on her belly. Etsy made this fleece thing and it’s the only thing we’ll ever put on her. No dresses, t-shirts, shoes, any of that crap.

It was a good trip but to be honest, just pushing back the inevitable grief, you know? Because within hours of getting home, I sunk , and am still sunk.

• April 29, 2017 at 10:03 am

You can run from it and try to hide, but grief seems to always find us. I found that each loss, my grief was more. Perhaps because I started to lose hope too. It fucking sucks and there is no magic cure for it except distance and time. Even then, it will still come to bite you in the ass when you least expect it. Pretty good pep talk eh? Pretty much – it is okay to be sunk and stay sunk for a bit.

6. April 28, 2017 at 9:00 pm

What a lovely trip! Thank you for sharing the pics with us

7. survivingmiscarriagetogether
    May 2, 2017 at 2:31 pm

Love the shipwreck. That looks really cool to explore x