Getting this blog out before we head out for our anniversary weekend…aww love rules doesn’t it? This picture above is a selfie my then-fiance took of us the night of our engagement party in St Kilda…and is what we both keep in our wallets 🙂
So because of the lovey-dovey mood we are in, here are some beautifully awesome things in the world for this week’s post…
- We did this over a lunch date as we hit our first anniversary and you know what? I think it’s important to actually ask each other these things EVERY year! On Maintaining Marriage – 15 Questions is a great “state of the union” type thing to do as a beautiful way to stay deeply connected, broach the difficult things rather than sweep them under the rug so you can find ways to address or move past, and celebrate this commitment you’ve made to each other.
- This year we have decided we are NOT getting each other gifts for our 2nd anniversary. I know! First we talked about a small gift, then a $100 limit, then the fact that we don’t really need anything, then homemade gifts, then about how we are already going away for a long weekend and-isn’t-that-a-great-gift-in-itself? I’m so shaped by the norm of gift giving on anniversaries that it’s a hard one for me to swallow – even though it technically was my idea. Anyhoo, here’s an interesting article on the psychology of gift-giving.
- “We want to be connected. That is the meaning of love, to be at one. When you love someone you want to say I need you, I take refuge in you. You do anything for the benefit of the Earth and the Earth will do anything for your wellbeing.” How beautiful is that? Check out Beyond environment: falling back in love with Mother Earth for some extra eco inspiration.
- I absolutely adore the efforts in solar tech to get it to far surpass fossil fuel energy. What’s not to love?
- Being anniversary time and all, I went back and looked at my Green Wedding Chronicles series of blog posts…for anyone contemplating or planning marriage (or know someone who is), this is a series full of ideas for staying green ‘n’ simple, mixed in with my own journey towards marrying the love of my life, sprinkled with some things I learned about the historic rituals around weddings that helped me understand not only where they came from, but if they were relevant to US.
- Flying somewhere for your romantic getaway? Here are 7 Easy Ways to Take a More Eco-Friendly Flight. Driving? Check these ideas for road trips out instead. As for us on our anniversary weekend out of town, we’ve got our fuel-efficient Ford Focus loaded up with our own food so that we can focus our energy on chillin’ out together rather than going in and out of town for restaurant meals. And pancakes by the sea are so nice, don’t you think? 🙂
~ George Bernard Shaw