So happy to write this in 70 degree weather at lunchtime, when the past few weeks have been so friggin’ hot that I’m usually closing up all the windows and curtains. Oregon is in drought mode – not as bad as California, but not great – and even with two rainbarrels and a cistern, those have all been empty for a while and we’re paying to water our gardens, grrr….but it’s worth it to be harvesting cucumbers, zucchini, carrots, onions, kale and more, and watching our peppers and tomatoes rejoice in normal summer weather. Woo hoo!
* My heart is with the Lakota as they protest – read here why.
* The Republican perversion towards sex continues. This is another reason I vote Democrat.
* Ford seems to be getting inspired toward car sharing. While I’m not a fan of the partnership with Getaround (who requires a Facebook account for membership…um hell no!), it’s nice to see certain automotive manufacturers look beyond actual manufacturing for transportation.
* Sharks living in volcanoes. How rad is that.
* With summer begging for cool treats, we were excited to see the local urban harvest group giving away little watermelons at the park yesterday, and promptly made this watermelon feta salad with it, which included sweet onions and French peppermint from our garden. Hard to believe I hated watermelon as a kid! 🙂
* Lovely local story about creating a food forest in a food desert here in Portland.
“Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come.”