Wow, my blog feels positively eerie I’ve written so little…but I promise there are big posts to come! With our whole-house repiping and accompanying bathroom remodel beginning on Monday, along with loads of work and family stuff filling life, I’ve been a wee bit distracted.
But, as promised, here is my weekly list of a few cool things I am diggin’…
* Starting out with the gross…we finally learned that the fungus that is randomly popping up in a few areas of the wood chip mulch is affectionately known as dog vomit fungus. You can guess why it gets its name.
* Perfect for the early onset of summer we’ve had here in Stumptown: vegan fudgsicles! (Although I’d sub local honey for the agave to increase the local quotient).
* And so NOT cool…only 97 vaquita porpoises left in the world, due to illegal gill net fishing in Mexico. WTF.
* As we begin our bathroom remodel, recycling and repurposing as much as we can, I loved this article on how to reuse shower curtain liners. I’ve never had fancy curtains, just a simple clear pvc-free liner, and already am using it as a dropcloth in the bathroom as we demo this weekend!
* Finally, another three cheers for the awesome neighborhood social media site Nextdoor, which has taken over Craigslist and Freecycle for me as the best way to give things away and support repurposing! It started as a flyer on a neighborhood bulletin board and everyone just started joining and sharing the site with others, and has been a great and zero-cost way of selling and giving away stuff, not to mention finding out about local events. There are unfortunately some really snippy folks who leave comments in the discussions that are bad energy, but overall it’s been great. This week for example I’ve found a taker for all of our 4×4 white bathroom tiles that we removed from the walls that would have otherwise been tossed. Nice!