Sunday heat

ugh…i’m not a girl who can deal with heat all that well…i tend to stay inside in the dark, under a fan watching a dvd…without a little vehicle and most of my friends in family-land, opportunities to carpool to rivers and beaches aren’t as readily available as one would hope.  but there is shade in my backyard at the six o’clock hour and so i sit out here on my chaise lounge and drink pinot grigio and eat pasta and flip through a magazine that promises to help me relax, to help me select a hair color, to find a ‘fab’ swimsuit for the curvy girl that i am.  fortunately, i am relaxed, i stopped dying my hair about a year ago (whaddayaknow, it’s still reddish brown…), and i have a cute little bikini that hugs my curves if only i had somewhere to wear it outside of when i wash the dog in the back yard.

the zucchinis are blossoming and the green beans are schizophrenically reaching for everywhere except the lovely trellis i built with my own two hands this week.  what really makes it all worthwhile are the damn peppers.  serranos, jalapenos, hungarian chiles, and some lovely bells.  i’ve interspersed some cinnamon basil and now hope for the best.

i hear babies crying, wood being chopped, and the occasional lawnmower in action.   the birds and the possums and the raccoons and the mice and such are all being smart and hiding out in cool places until evening.  i’ve got a dvd ready to play to last me through the evening under the breeze of my ceiling fan and yet wonder if anything besides ”happy feet” or another wintry flick will keep my mind off the stickiness i’m feeling as my back leans against my chair.

but of course as it is now that i’ve got garden growing like it’s on steroids, i can’t sit out here and not do something.  cinnamon basil and sweet basil both coming out my ears which must be picked so it won’t blossom, cilantro that, well, i forgot about and is now a flowering plant amongst the carrots and onions, and freakazoid tomatoes that must have incredibly good karma or something, as i’m the only one i know whose tomatoes are so big i need a ladder or a tall man to help me out with.  but god let the tomato obsession begin, ya know?

i’m humbly following in the footsteps of miz ashley’s suggestion over at small measures and going to host my first canning party.  i know, total betty crocker issues eh?  but i love it and hell, it’s more fun to do repetitive tasks like peeling and slicing peaches, apples, tomatoes, etc., when you’ve got your girls around you and some fine cocktails to boot.  right? right.  i mean hell, gardening is more fun with a glass of pinot and it makes me socialize a little nicer with the bees and spiders who have tried to claim the tomato jungle as theirs.  a punk rock sweet potato started budding extra late so i jammed her into the soil (um yeah, we’ll see about that!).  hey you never know.  i’ve got sweat sliding down every part of my skin and a lovely stash of garlic i’ve yanked from the ground, now all i need is some fresh pasta to fill with these lovely portobellos that i’m dying to saute…but i’m tired so i’m just going to sip some more wine for a bit.  my dog’s giving me the split personality stank eye because i hosed her down in this 90+ weather – she acts like i’m about to give her a beating every time yet as soon as i free her from the confines of the cool water raining down on her, she goes into freak out puppy mode.  okay she’s 12 so it’s a gentle gallop, but still makes me laugh hysterically as she shakes and wiggles about and smiles at me saying, aw mom you were sooooo right, this Does feel good!

it’s a sunday night and the yard is encased in shadows now as i’ve been slower than usual in typing this up.  time to get back to the magazine and learn how to ‘shop smart’ and ‘fix five meals in five minutes’.  or something.

One thought on “Sunday heat

1. July 25, 2010 at 8:57 pm

im growing tomatoes too. they are the most thirstiest plants ever!! and the chilli peppers!

i have no clue about canning. would love to learn!

also.. i have a doggy related question. Spike has been swallowing hard a few times and then did a dry cough once or twice today. his eyes look a bit watery so i suspect a cold. am i right? if so… what should i do?..has Daisy ever had this? i know i could talk to the vet but i figured if i could give him some homemade goodies maybe it would help?

2. July 25, 2010 at 8:57 pm

i have no clue about canning. would love to learn!

3. July 25, 2010 at 9:22 pm

be careful not to overwater the tomatoes! they like water but i learned quick that to do one or two deep soaks each week at most is all they need – if you see little black 'fleas' on them, you've watered too much and it won't fruit much, same for peppers.

canning is so fun- just use the directions that come with the pectin and that's all you need. i buy sugar free as i think people use too much sugar and you don't need it (plus you want to taste the fruit!!).

dog: i've never dealt with a doggy cold but i would first find yourself a 'healthy/holistic' pet food/supply shop and ask one of the people who work there, they usually know a lot and aren't going to immediately stuff a pill in your direction like vets do. if you aren't already, make sure your pup's food specifically says 'no by-products' and doesn't have anything with 'meal' in the ingredients. that equals hoofs n snouts. many pups have or develop allergies to corn, wheat, etc. when my girl is not feeling well she gets veggies and cottage cheese (fiber and protein but easier on the tummy).

sorry about the long response but hope this helps 🙂

4. July 26, 2010 at 8:07 am

OH thank you !!! I really appreciate you taking the time to help. im going to try the cottage cheese and veggies thing. Spike was sneezing and coughing all night so he's going to the doc this morning. i found one that doesnt make dogs pop pills so i hope she will help.

i heard dairy isnt good for dogs. what do you think?

i will be careful with the tomatoes. they sure are getting heavier!!

and i agree with you about too much sugar in jams and stuff…when i cook i cut the sugar in half and honestly it tastes much better!.

america has an obsession with too much salt and too much sugar. LOL!

5. July 26, 2010 at 8:07 am

i heard dairy isnt good for dogs. what do you think?

i will be careful with the tomatoes. they sure are getting heavier!!

america has an obsession with too much salt and too much sugar. LOL!

6. July 26, 2010 at 6:48 pm

what i learned is that it's not dairy that's bad as a whole, rather its lactose, and cottage cheese is very very low in lactose and that's why it's easier on the tummy 🙂

7. July 28, 2010 at 5:00 am

OK so he is MUCH better now. have been giving him only veggies and some boiled chicken. Will get some cottage cheese too. FANKS SO MUCH!!! 😀

8. July 28, 2010 at 5:00 am